Brief History of Education in Kilshanny
St. Augustines NS, Kilshanny, is a rural mixed primary school situated approximately 3.5 miles north of Ennistymon, in the parish of Lisdoonvarna, co. Clare.
6 Hedge schools were reportedly operating in the parish of Kilshanny in the 1800s.
- Caheraderry (Patrick McMahon was the teacher)
- Ballytarsna (Mr. Crowe’s outhouse)
- The Forge Cross
- Leachtavoneen (Henry Thynne was the teacher)
- Knockerstra Bridge (Mr. O’Donoghue was the teacher)
These classes took place under the sunny side of a hedge or sometimes inside an old ruin or a barn. The only subjects taught back then were reading, writing, arithmetic, Latin and Greek. There were no desks or seats and the young scholars sat on stones.
The first school building was established in 1890 and was situated close to the church (Now the Community Hall). In 1952, the present school was built at a cost of £8,000. The building contractor was Ml. McNamara, Lisdoonvarna. The school was blessed and opened by Bishop Browne of Galway. In 2009 a major renovation of the school took place and a large extension was added.
Today there are wonderful facilities in the school such as a playground, 2 large school yards, mobile laptops & tablets, a vast array of educational resources and bright and spacious classrooms with fantastic views of “The lovely green vales of Kilshanny”. Due to falling numbers, Gortown N.S. amalgamated with St. Augustines N.S. in 1966. Gortown NS was situated close to the border with Ennistymon.
Teachers who served in St. Augustines N.S. Kilshanny
Bridget Doolan (Considine)
Michael J. McGrath
Mary Williams (O’Brien)
Teachers who served in Gortown N.S.